Health Science Students
Office of Regional Primary Care Education (ORPCE)
Director: (828) 771-3434
The ORPCE mission is to facilitate quality, community-based primary care
education for health science students enrolled in NC AHEC associated programs. Our focus is to further
primary care education for physician, physician assistant, nurse practitioner, and pharmacy students in
ambulatory community sites, especially in rural and underserved areas, as well as provide support
services for preceptors and the associated health science schools.
MAHEC also offers a variety of 4th year medical student electives
in both Family Medicine and Obstetrics and Gynecology for both in-state and out-of-state students
interested in our residency programs.
ORPCE Services for in-state students
- Assist with placements in community sites.
- Provide and coordinate student housing. (A completed
North Carolina AHEC Community Primary Care Rotation
must be completed before housing can be assigned. Please fax the form to Gaye F. Colvin at 828-407-2896 or scan and send as
email attachment to Gaye Colvin.)
- Facilitate quality educational experiences consistent with curricular goals.
- Implement protocols for payments to eligible site
- Link to AHEC information resources
- Represent preceptor concerns to the schools, AHECs, and AHEC Program Office
For Health Science Schools:
- Assist with identifying and recruiting preceptor sites
- Coordinate placement of students in community-based sites
- Assist with evaluation of community-based education